Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Short vowel words change when you add e at the end

The vowels are letters a, e, i, o, u, y. When words have only one vowel, the vowel will usually says its short sound. Vowel a is short in mat and match.

Look: you can change a short vowel word, like cap into the long vowel word cape by adding vowel e at the end of the word.

Cape has two vowels separated by only one consonant. (the consonant p)
Adding vowel e at the end, changes the short vowel word into a long vowel word.

Remember, when a vowel says its letter name, we call it long


1) cap  to  cape

2) can  to  cane

3) car  to  care

4) plan  to  plane

5) rid   to  ride

6) hid  to  hide

7) bit   to  bite

8) hop  to  hope

Being smart with vowels becomes very important in the upper grades for adding ed, ing and for changing y into i. Vowel lessons are not taught in the upper grades. Early readers also need to be smart with vowels, look:

The dog bit my hand. Did the dog bite you?  I met a new boy.  I like to meet new kids.

I now use eBay as my website. Search Instant Reading Help all my books will pop up. All are brand new, full of all the lessons your child needs to be a Star Reader. And, include my contact info; email or call for help.

Have a great day, Mary Maisner


No comments:

Post a Comment