Friday, September 7, 2012

oi oy reading help

Vowel teams oi and oy always make the same sound, as heard in boy, toy, boil, coil.
Vowel teams oi and oy do not come apart for sounding them out. Oi and oy are not long or short; instead, they have their own special sound.

1) Practice the oi oy sound in this rhyming family:
boy    Roy       joy         destroy    employ
toy     ahoy     enjoy     annoy       coy means shy 

2) Listen to the oi oy sound in: loyal, royal, voyage

3) Practice the oi oy sound in these rhyming families:
coin      join  
purloin means to steal; My dog purloined my sandwich when I wasn't looking.

Tortoise and porpoise are ancient words with their own sounds; truly rare for oi  oy.  
I created the Vowel Power book to make all the vowel lessons easy for your child. All my books teach with stories, skills pages, and lots of color pictures. Click this link, then click bookstore and scroll down to see the rabbit hopping through the woods: http://www.zoomreadingstrategy.com  All my books teach a special comprehension method.

Nothing is more fun than being a star reader.    Have a great day, Mary Maisner 


No comments:

Post a Comment