Monday, June 17, 2013

help child read



I am smart enough already!    Don't bother me!


 
Can a smart child be in school for three years and still be wobbly with letters b and d? Yes.

Again this Saturday, a smart, quick-minded eight year old was missing the Usual Suspects: b /d and p / q / g.  Please understand: it is not a child's fault. 
Research shows it is unclear instruction. Do not panic. 

Tip: quit stopping to sound out words, tell your child any unknown word, have your child keep reading. Stopping breaks the short-term memory loop, thus all comprehension is lost.

Tell your child to keep reading using the words he does know. Slide over any unknown word. At the end of the page, you ask questions - what is happening on the page, who did what, etc. Then go back to unknown words and help your child figure them out or tell him the word. In a few weeks, this method will give great results.    

Use my blog's search box - top left corner - put in backward b. Also, sight words. My new books are sold at eBay. Search Instant Reading Help. All my books will pop up, all include my contact info; email or call for help.
Have a great day, Mary Maisner


No comments:

Post a Comment