Friday, April 5, 2013

repeat 3rd grade reading help



This is such a tough situation. Reality is that a small set of letters and sight words must become instant; a child is going to stumble around forever without these lessons. 

Use my search box- top left corner - put in backward b, then working memory. Download these lessons. Download the 1st 100 sight words. (My books include 300 sight words.)

Take your child to a used bookstore (Goodwill, ARC, etc). Get whatever books appeal to your child. Ask your child to find and circle the 1st sight word - the. Work down the sight word list.

Tip: quit stopping to sound out words, tell your child any unknown word, have your child keep reading. Stopping breaks the short-term memory, thus all comprehension is lost. This is the way the brain works for everyone.

Instead, show your child how to keep reading using the words he does know. At the end of the page, you ask questions - what is happening on the page, who did what, etc. Then go back to unknown words and help your child figure them out or tell him the words. In a few weeks, this method will reap great rewards. (Many words cannot be sounded out. Plus, growing comprehension gathered by continuing to read the story will strengthen your child.)

Whether you hold your child back or not, start today - get a personal tutor to teach my book if you do not have the time, or do not work well with your child. (Common problem.)

I use ebay as my website. Search Instant Reading Help all my books will come up. You do not have to use my books but get a book from somewhere to give you support and structure! My books include my contact info; email or call for help.
           Thank you, Mary Maisner

No comments:

Post a Comment