Tuesday, March 19, 2013

reading skills, reading help

Owls hunt at night. Their eyesight and
hearing is much better than ours.
This page is divided into 1) preschool - kindergarten, 2) 1st Grade - 2nd Grade, 3) 3rd Grade - all upper Grades. Tip for all ages: quit stopping to sound out; tell your child unknown words and build comprehension connections.

Preschool - Kindergarten: get a ABC letter strip from Target, Office Max etc. Work on recognizing 3 letters at a time. Build instant see / say for letter name and sound.

Ignore backward letter printing, it is rarely dyslexia, will self-correct by mid-2nd Grade, will not slow your child's progress; your energy is better spent getting instant with crucial letters b, d, g, p, q.  

Goal: be sure your child starts 1st Grade correctly identifying letters b, d, g, p, q within words. Confusing the shapes of b /d and p / q / g within words is the major cause of falling behind. 

Use my blog's search box - top left corner box- put in backward b and working memory.

1st Grade- 2nd Grade: 1) read the above Kindergarten advice. 2) Teach my letter rules to put your child in control of b, d, g, p, q: Use my blog's search box - top left corner - put in backward b and working memory and sight words and short vowels long vowels. 

Do not panic; 10 minutes a day will boost your child because your child is getting one-on-one with you and the most important skills. The bottom of this page tells you how to get my books, if you want one.

3rd Grade - all upper Grades. Even if your child is in 3rd Grade, put into my blog's search box (top left corner) high school reading help.  That lesson will show you how to help your child connect to comprehension.  After that: short vowels long vowels and ce, ci and ge, gi and ce, ci, cy and tion and adding ed and changing y to i.

Also search my blog's 3rd Grade reading skills or 4th Grade reading skills, or 5th Grade reading skills. Do not panic - you can do it. If you do not have time, get my book for your child's grade level and hire a tutor to teach it. (Personal tutor, not a group tutor company.)

I use eBay as my website. Search Instant Reading Help. All my books will pop up. My books use stories to teach the skills your child needs plus a strong comprehension method. None have a grade level marked on them, all come with my contact info; email or call me. Help your child have fun reading. Have a great day, Mary Maisner



No comments:

Post a Comment