Sunday, April 1, 2012

Short vowel rhyming families

Short vowel rhyming families are an easy way for your child to slide into reading.  You and your child can print these exercises but you can also provide your child some action while learning.

For example, ask your child to stand with his back to the wall and permit him to take one step forward with each correct answer.

You say, "Our rhyming family is cat, sat, that; you can take one step forward if you tell me a word in this rhyming family that starts with r (rat).

OK, now we have cat, sat, that, rat; you can take one step forward if you tell me a word in this family that starts with m (mat.) So, now we have cat, sat, that, rat, mat. 

You can take one step forward if you tell me a word in this family that starts with f (fat.)  This time you say the rhyming family with me: we have cat, sat, that, rat, mat, fat.

You can take one step forward if you can tell me a word in this family that start with b (bat). Say the rhyming family with me: we have cat, sat, that, rat, mat, fat, bat.

If you run out of space, ask your child to take one step backward each time. If you have a set of stairs, you can allow your child to sit on a stair and move up and down - sitting each time - sitting is safer than standing.  Other words you can add to this rhyming family: pat, hat, scat, brat, drat, splat.

Asking your child to repeat the rhyming family each time with you helps strengthen both the rhyming element and your child's short-term memory span.

I have create several books to help your child become a Star Reader. I use ebay as my website. Search Instant Reading Help all my books will pop up.  Being smart from the start is what you want for your child!

By the way, this wonderful squirrel was drawn by Hans Hoffman in the year 1578.
Have a great day, Mary Maisner

                  

No comments:

Post a Comment